The Economy & The Fiscal Cliff
Statement from the President, as released by the White House:
"Leaders from both parties in the Senate came together to reach an agreement that passed with overwhelming bipartisan support today that protects 98 percent of Americans and 97 percent of small business owners from a middle class tax hike. While neither Democrats nor Republicans got everything they wanted, this agreement is the right thing to do for our country and the House should pass it without delay.
This agreement will also grow the economy and shrink our deficits in a balanced way – by investing in our middle class, and by asking the wealthy to pay a little more.
What's more, today's agreement builds on previous efforts to reduce our deficits. Last year, I worked with Democrats and Republicans to cut spending by more than $1 trillion. Tonight’s agreement does even more by asking millionaires and billionaires to begin to pay their fair share for the first time in twenty years. As promised, that increase will be immediate, and it will be permanent.
There’s more work to do to reduce our deficits, and I’m willing to do it. But tonight’s agreement ensures that, going forward, we will continue to reduce the deficit through a combination of new spending cuts and new revenues from the wealthiest Americans. And as we address our ongoing fiscal challenges, I will continue to fight every day on behalf of the middle class and all those fighting to get into the middle class to forge an economy that grows from the middle out, not from the top down."
MARIUPOL, Ukraine/MOSCOW - Separatists attacked a Ukrainian national guard base overnight and Kiev said three of them were killed, the worst bloodshed yet in a 10-day pro-Russian uprising, accompanied by tough words from Vladimir Putin that overshadowed crisis talks. | Video
- Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors |
- Exclusive: Syria submits more 'detailed' list of chemical weapons
- Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed: IAEA
- Jordanian jihadis returning from Syria war rattle U.S.-aligned kingdom
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South Sudan
- Turkish ruling party wants Erdogan presidential bid: officials