Algeria and Mali
Frenchman killed in Algerian operation on gas plant - ministerView the full event
PARIS, Jan 18 (Reuters) - A Frenchman was killed when the Algerian army stormed a gas plant to free hostages held by Islamist militants, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Friday.
"The Algerian authorities have just informed us that one of our compatriots, Mr. Yann Desjeux, unfortunately lost his life during the operation to free hostages," Fabius said in a statement.
"The lives of three others of our compatriots who were on the site during the terrorist attack have been saved," he added. by anthony.derosa 1/18/2013 8:01:00 PM
SEOUL - North Korea fired a short-range missile from its east coast on Sunday, a day after launching three of these missiles, a South Korean news agency said, ignoring calls for restraint from Western powers.
- Upmarket Pakistan district votes again as Imran Khan decries killing
- Netanyahu takes aim at weapons 'leakage' in Syria
- Cameron 'losing control' as rift with party core widens
- Egyptian police block Israel border crossing in fury at kidnapping: sources
- France in talks with U.S., Israel to buy drones: minister
- U.N. chief Ban says worried over North Korea missile launch
- Afghanistan's Karzai seeks Indian military aid amid tensions with Pakistan