News Corp phone-hacking scandal
Live coverage as PM David Cameron makes an emergency statement to MPs on the latest developments in the phone hacking scandal.
- RT @Ed_Miliband: Dramatic Day.Now David Cameron has a duty to uphold dignity of the PMs Office by answering fully the Qs he faces about ...by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:18:47 PM
- Are you aware of any payment to police officers? Brooks: Noby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:19:20 PM
- Brooks: When Andy Coulson left the #NotW he had an agreement that all his legal fees would be paid.by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:19:49 PM
- My bodyguard RT @BorowitzReport: BREAKING: Obama Invites Wendi Murdoch to Help Him Meet with Republicans #Murdoch #badass #pieby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:20:47 PM
- RT @AlanFisher: Brooks run through how a story gets to press- mentions lawyers involved - why didn;t they flag up illegality of phone ha ...by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:21:29 PM
- Seems many not interested in seeing Brooks quizzed. Tom Watson gone, as have many reporters.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:22:44 PM
- RT @SkyNewsBreak: Rebekah Brooks: Milly Dowler story ran for a long time. I would have been involved in the story over many years.by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:24:28 PM
- Brooks: Press tried to respect privacy (in Milly Dowler case)by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:25:07 PM
- RT @TheAtlanticWire: FBI Confirms Arrests in Anonymous Hacking Case. theatln.tcby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:27:29 PM
- Bipartisan Group in Senate Seeks to Break Debt Impasse reut.rsby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:29:28 PM
- President Obama set to speak in the next few minutesby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:29:53 PM
- Brooks says only heard of Milly Dowler phone hacking two weeks ago.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:30:05 PM
- President Obama now speakingby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:31:14 PM
- Watch Obama live here: www.whitehouse.govby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:31:20 PM
- COLUMN-Paying taxes your employer keeps-David Cay Johnston | Reuters reut.rsby felix salmon via twitter 7/19/2011 5:31:33 PM
- Brooks: I don't know anyone who thinks it would be a right or proper thing to do (to hack Milly Dowler's phone)by Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:32:31 PM
- Would you take personal responsibility if it happened? Brooks: Yes, I would take responsibilityby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:32:49 PM
- Brooks says "I would take responsibility" if Dowler hacking under editorship proven true.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:33:43 PM
- Brooks: I felt Sarah's Law was in the public interest, but I know at that time I used private detectivesby Anthony De Rosa via twitter 7/19/2011 5:34:49 PM
- Absolving herself of knowing about Dowler hacking, Brooks says "no one in their right mind" would sanction it.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:35:59 PM
- Brooks defends "Sarah's law" controversial NoW anti-paedophile campaign. Says is proud of it.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:36:53 PM
- Parliament's CMS are incredulous about Brooks' and the Murdochs' many claims to not know about malpractice at their newspaper.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:41:47 PM
- why are tweeting about obama? i thought this was on news corp?
- Brooks: "The newsroom at any newspaper is based on trust ....who do I trust? The whole newsroom is based on trust."by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:56:13 PM
- Brooks says that based on trust, if a senior colleague (Kavanagh) came to her with a story, she wouldn't ask where it came from b/c of trustby MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 5:57:38 PM
- @huh? good point. we're tweaking our twitter follower group as the day goes on.
- Brooks admits, "like other editors" some headlines had been "mistakes", then goes on to defend free press.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 6:00:13 PM
- Brooks says she spoke to Rupert Murdoch "every other day" while chief of News International.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 6:02:44 PM
- Brooks says has never been at Downing Street under Cameron, but "regularly" during Blair, Brown premierships. 6/year for GB, more under TBby MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 6:10:54 PM
- #notw rebekah says has never been horse riding with PM cameronby georginius via twitter 7/19/2011 6:13:20 PM
- Brooks says has never gone horse riding, owned land, or a horse with PM Cameron. Says had "appropriate" friendship with him.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 6:15:24 PM
- Brooks says never told PM Cameron to hire Andy Coulson. She says Chancellor George Osborne did.by MohammedReuters via twitter 7/19/2011 6:16:07 PM
- Thanks all for joining us.
- Highlights - Murdochs apologise, testify to being humbled: uk.reuters.com
Highlights - Brooks apologises to parliament over hacking: uk.reuters.com
Analysts views' on the Murdoch hearing: uk.reuters.com
- Factbox on today's committee hearings: uk.reuters.com
Timeline of events in the hacking scandal so far: uk.reuters.com
Who's who in the hacking scandal: uk.reuters.com
- Good morning, welcome back to our live coverage of the fallout from the phone hacking scandal. David Cameron has just left Downing Street and is making his way to the Commons. He's expected to make a 20 minute statement, followed by what we imagine will be lengthy questioning by MPs.
- Can Cameron's statement and questioning possibly match the excitement of yesterday? uk.reuters.com
- Probably not, but the PM has cut short his trip to Africa and he now faces an intense grilling over his decision to hire Andy Coulson. uk.reuters.com
- Cameron will make his statement at 11:30am.
- More bad news for David Cameron this morning. According to a Reuters/Ipsos MORI poll, more Britons are unhappy with the way the PM is doing his job than at any point since he took office in May last year. uk.reuters.com
- Speaker of the House John Bercow may say something about yesterday's pie-incident, BBC News hears.
- Curiouser and curiouser. Ed Miliband has also published a list of his meetings with proprietors, editors and senior media executives. Eleven out of 24 were with News International.
- Slideshow: Murdoch gets pied uk.reuters.com
ATHENS - Greece's new leftist government opened talks on its bailout with European partners on Friday by flatly refusing to extend the programme or to cooperate with the international inspectors overseeing it. | Video
- Ukraine peace talks aborted as civilians die in east |
- Japan, Jordan seek news on fate of Islamic State captives |
- South Africa's 'Prime Evil' apartheid killer freed on parole
- Republican Romney opts out of 2016 run for president
- Russia wants U.N. Security Council help on conflict zone flight risk
- Islamic State attacks Kurdish outposts across Iraq |
- Mexico tests DNA of babies who survived blast in search for parents