Algeria and Mali
Reuters: White House strongly condemns "terrorist attack" at Algeria plant, also in touch with BP officials in London. White House says it is closing monitoring situation in Algeria, concerned about reports of loss of life and is reaching out to the Algerian government for clarification. White House says President Obama has been briefly regularly on the hostage situation in Algeria by Matthew Keys 1/17/2013 5:15:21 PMView the full event
BAGHDAD/PARIS - French jets struck a suspected Islamic State target in Iraq for the first time on Friday, expanding a U.S.-led military campaign against militants who have seized a third of the country and also control large parts of neighbouring Syria.
- Kurdish leader urges world to protect Syrian town from Islamic State
- Egytian pleads guilty ahead of trial over U.S. embassy bombings
- Catalonia call independence vote despite Scottish 'no'
- France's Sarkozy sets return to politics with 'new project'
- Austrian leader says Putin sees progress in Ukraine crisis
- Shi'ite rebels shell Yemen state TV, residents flee fighting
- Russian businessman freed from house arrest, his company says