Conflict along the Gaza Strip
Rolling coverage of events along the Gaza Strip
- War looms over Gaza as death toll rises
A Hamas rocket killed three Israelis north of the Gaza Strip on Thursday, drawing the first blood from Israel as the Palestinian death toll rose to 15 in a military showdown lurching closer to all-out war and an invasion of the enclave.
On the second day of an assault Israel said might last many days and culminate in a ground attack, its warplanes bombed targets in and around Gaza city, where tall buildings trembled.
Plumes of smoke and dust furled into a sky laced with the vapor trails of outgoing rockets.
The sudden conflict, launched by Israel with the killing of Hamas's military chief, pours oil on the fire of a Middle East already ablaze with two years of revolution and an out-of-control civil war in Syria. Palestinian allies, led by Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi, denounced the Israeli offensive.
After watching powerlessly from the sidelines of the Arab Spring, Israel has been thrust to the centre of a volatile new world in which Islamist Hamas believes that Mursi and his newly dominant Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt will be its protectors.
The Palestinian Islamist group claimed it had fired a one-ton, Iranian-made Fajr 5 rocket at Tel Aviv in what would be a major escalation, but there was no reported impact in the Israeli metropolis 50 km (30 miles) north of the enclave.
Read on... [Reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi]
- Israeli Army Radio reported that one rocket hit Tel Aviv, Israel; however the chief military spokesman says the rocket did not strike Tel Aviv -- a security source told Reuters that the rocket landed at sea.
Jihad al-Masharawi, an employee of BBC Arabic in Gaza, cries after his son Omar was killed in an Israeli air strike in Gaza City November 14, 2012. Israel launched a major offensive against Palestinian militants in Gaza on Wednesday, killing the military commander of Hamas in an air strike and threatening an invasion of the enclave that the Islamist group vowed would "open the gates of hell". [REUTERS/Ahmed Zakot ]
Video: Israel releases video of air strike on Hamas miltiary chief (November 14, 2012)
Video: Netanyahu says Israel will take "whatever action is necessary" (November 15, 2012)
- Rockets fired a moment ago from the beach near the Beach Hotel in #gazacomment by MattMcBradley via twitter 11/15/2012 5:37:42 PM
- Analysis: Gaza conflict seen evoking Arab anger, not war
Israel's assault on Gaza sends more sparks flying into a combustible Middle East, but is unlikely to ignite a wider war or destroy the Jewish state's 1979 peace treaty with Egypt.
A Hamas rocket killed three Israelis north of the Gaza Strip on Thursday and Israeli bombs brought the Palestinian death toll to 13 in a worsening military showdown after Israel assassinated a top Hamas military commander the previous day.
Hamas, an offshoot of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, had become newly assertive in recent weeks, buoyed by a visit to Gaza by the emir of Qatar and by an apparent belief that Israel would not risk strong military action with Islamists ruling Egypt.
Read on... [Reporting by Alistair Lyon]
Video: Thousands rally at funeral for senior Hamas commander (YouTube/princeofhornets)
Smoke trails are seen as an Iron Dome intercepts a rocket which was launched from Gaza, near the southern town of Sderot November 15, 2012. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun
Video: Israel's Iron Dome intercepts rockets (YouTube/benihafakot)
The Israeli Defence Force released three new videos on November 15, which reportedly show strikes against rocket sites in Gaza. The IDF also released this video showing how they targeted “long-range missiles held by terrorist organisations in Gaza.”
- About 300 people chanting in the anti-war protest: "Jews and Arabs refuse to be enemies" and "children in #Gaza and Sderot want to live"comment by Elizrael via twitter 11/15/2012 5:54:01 PM
- Anti-war protest in central Tel Aviv. We chant: "the people demand a cease fire". Network too weak to upload pics. About 300 people here.comment by Elizrael via twitter 11/15/2012 5:54:02 PM
- "They would simply like to wipe us off the face of the earth and they have no reservations about harming innocent civilians." -- Benjamin Netanyahu www.likud.org.il
This video shows a strike against what the IDF describe as a “rockets warehouse” in Gaza
This video purportedly shows a strike against Fajr infrastructure in Zeitoun
Video: Coverage of conflict along the Gaza Strip (NewsBreaker)
- Gaza rocket fired at Tel Aviv stirred up some 20-year-old memories for this Israeli woman, who wrote: "Two decades ago (during the 1991 Gulf War), I had just returned to the parking lot of our apartment building with my father after swapping my gas mask, and the air raid siren went off. We ran up five flights of stairs to our 'secure room'. Tonight, my Dad picked me up at work, and just as we got to the parking lot, an air raid siren sounded and we ran to the stairwell where we met my mother, sister and our dog, Moca. We ran for the shelter."
- another huge explosion #Gazacomment by Amal_mj via twitter 11/15/2012 6:08:19 PM
- Reuters: Israel's Barak says rocket fire at Tel Aviv an escalation that will exact a price from Gaza militants
- Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, in recorded statement aired on television: "Palestinian people are prepared and ready to stand steadfast..."
A Syrian man who lives in Egypt takes part in a protest against Israel's ongoing military operation in the Gaza Strip, in front of the Arab League offices in Cairo November 15, 2012. Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi condemned Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip as unacceptable on Thursday, in his harshest public criticism of Egypt's neighbour since taking office in June. The headband reads, "There is only one God and Prophet Mohammad is his messenger , the Free Syrian Army , Victory or Martyrdom". REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
Smoke rises after an Israeli strike in the northern Gaza Strip November 15, 2012. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun
- Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, in recorded statement aired on television: "I commend and hail the decisions made by the Egyptian leader; however, we emphasize the Egyptian stance...be adopted to stand on the way of this belligerent aggression, belligerent campaign against our people in Gaza."
Israeli embassy protest in London stretches a good length down Kensington High Street #Gaza #CWI pbs.twimg.com/media/A7wu1_7CQAA_i-S.jpgcomment by neilcaff via twitter 11/15/2012 6:18:19 PM
Big turn out at Israeli embassy protest in London #Gaza pbs.twimg.com/media/A7wunV_CAAAZvCw.jpgcomment by neilcaff via twitter 11/15/2012 6:19:09 PM
- Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, via broadcast: "I express my regret to the United States' position."
- Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, via broadcast, statement directed at Israel: "Your threats cannot intimidate us. We have been praying continuously to God to reward us with martyrdom."
How far into Israel can rockets fired by #Hamas from Gaza travel? Missile range map: pbs.twimg.com/media/A7wuT-OCIAEGFkU.gifcomment by BBC News (World) via twitter 11/15/2012 6:24:00 PM
- Noah in #TelAviv says: "You could hear sirens. Everyone was a bit surprised but got to where they needed to be without panic." #WHYScomment by BBC_WHYS via twitter 11/15/2012 6:25:46 PM
- Sky Sources: Israeli Defence Minister has approved the call-up of 30,000 reservists say Israel Defence Forcescomment by Sky News Newsdesk via twitter 11/15/2012 6:30:50 PM
A Palestinian stone-thrower runs after Israeli security forces fired tear gas during clashes against Israel's military operation in Gaza, outside Ofer prison near the West Bank city of Ramallah November 15, 2012. REUTERS/Mohamad Torokman
Israelis sit inside a sewage pipe used as shelter during alert, warning of incoming rockets, in the southern community of Nitzan, near Ashdod November 15, 2012. REUTERS/Nir Elias
- Huge explosion just beyond northern edges of Gaza City. Hearing jets roaring. Think the raids are kicking off againcomment by HughNaylor via twitter 11/15/2012 6:44:49 PM
- Interactive map of Gaza shows how different cities in the besieged strip are impacted by Israeli air attacks -- Al Jazeera www.aljazeera.com
- Explosion hits near beach hotel in #Gaza where many journalists are staying.comment by Sheera Frenkel via twitter 11/15/2012 6:53:28 PM
Video: Amateur video captures scene of Gaza strike (November 14, 2012)
- ABC News Alexander Marquardt in Gaza reports that half dozens missiles have landed near his hotel-shaking building and knocking out power.comment by Justin Kenny via twitter 11/15/2012 6:55:05 PM
- Extremely loud explosions in #Gaza, a wave of air from one blast came in through our office windows. #Palestinians #Israelcomment by sarahussein via twitter 11/15/2012 6:55:43 PM
Palestinian protestors shout slogans in front of Israeli soldiers (R) during a protest against Israel's military operation in Gaza, at Hawara checkpoint near the West Bank city of Nablus November 15, 2012. REUTERS/Abed Omar Qusini
- Another massive explosion #gazacomment by NalanSarraj via twitter 11/15/2012 7:03:22 PM
- In past 24 hrs #Israel made clear it will not tolerate rocket attacks on its civilians. I hope #Hamas & other terrorists in Gaza got messagecomment by בנימין נתניהו via twitter 11/15/2012 7:04:16 PM
- #Hamas says a Tunisian delegation will visit #Gaza on Sunday. Egyptian PM still expected there tomorrowcomment by crispian balmer via twitter 11/15/2012 7:12:00 PM
- RT @nozekas: .@DanWilliams reporting from Jerusalem, @ReutersTV: Panic in #Gaza after Israeli strike on Hamas leader: http://bit.ly/PV5j0Sby Dan Williams via twitter 11/15/2012 7:12:45 PM
- These are retweets via various people who have intelligent points of view. @DanWilliams, @His_Grace among them. Worth following.comment by 1_nineteen via twitter 11/15/2012 7:13:07 PM
- Recent Liveblogs
- Who's Blogging
- John Peabody
- Matthew Keys
- Clare Richardson
- Eric Martyn
WASHINGTON U.S. presidential candidate Hillary Clinton talked to steel workers in the Appalachian region about their economic struggles on Monday, as she tried to win over blue-collar voters in a part of the country where support for Republican Donald Trump is strong.
- Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to authorise more
- Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin Laden
- Saudi minister confirms warning on proposed U.S. law on 9/11
- U.S. says Iraq's PM in 'strong position' amid political unrest
- Hague court says India must release Italian sailor - Italy
- Bombs in Baghdad kill 14, including some Shi'ite pilgrims |
- Leader of Canada's separatist Parti Quebecois steps down