Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper's statement on the passing of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez:
"I would like to offer my condolences to the people of Venezuela on the passing of President Chávez.
Canada looks forward to working with his successor and other leaders in the region to build a hemisphere that is more prosperous, secure and democratic.
At this key juncture, I hope the people of Venezuela can now build for themselves a better, brighter future based on the principles of freedom, democracy, the rule of law and respect for human rights."
JOHANNESBURG - U.S. President Barack Obama shook hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at a memorial for Nelson Mandela on Tuesday, a rare gesture between the leaders of two ideological opponents that reflected the anti-apartheid hero's spirit of reconciliation. | Video
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Ukrainian police take back part of square from protesters
- Mexican Senate prepares to vote on historic energy bill
- Colombia's ousted Bogota mayor rallies thousands in protest
- Nicaragua's assembly approves plan to end presidential term limits
- Czech parties reach deal to form center-left government
- Iran sees progress in talks with powers on nuclear deal implementation