Live News on Ukraine
Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper's statement on the passing of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez:
"I would like to offer my condolences to the people of Venezuela on the passing of President Chávez.
Canada looks forward to working with his successor and other leaders in the region to build a hemisphere that is more prosperous, secure and democratic.
At this key juncture, I hope the people of Venezuela can now build for themselves a better, brighter future based on the principles of freedom, democracy, the rule of law and respect for human rights."
TOKYO - U.S. President Barack Obama has said Washington welcomes China's rise but that engagement with Beijing would not come at the expense of its Asian allies - as Chinese state media greeted his imminent arrival in the region with a broadside accusing the United States of wanting to "cage" the emerging superpower.
- Ukraine president calls for new anti-rebel offensive as crisis deal falters |
- Divers feel with their hands for corpses in depths of South Korean ferry |
- Satellites show North Korea nuclear test unlikely: think tank
- Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- Australia vows to keep searching to solve missing Malaysian plane mystery
- Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in 'madly expensive' Luanda
- Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case