Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper's statement on the passing of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez:View the full event
"I would like to offer my condolences to the people of Venezuela on the passing of President Chávez.by Matthew Keys 3/5/2013 11:19:42 PM
Canada looks forward to working with his successor and other leaders in the region to build a hemisphere that is more prosperous, secure and democratic.
At this key juncture, I hope the people of Venezuela can now build for themselves a better, brighter future based on the principles of freedom, democracy, the rule of law and respect for human rights."
ROME - Thousands of people protested in Rome on Saturday against austerity policies and high unemployment, urging new Prime Minister Enrico Letta to focus on creating jobs to help pull the country out of recession.
- Eight killed, 10 policemen kidnapped in Iraq's Sunni heartland |
- North Korea fires three short-range missiles
- Police clash with youth in Cairo after anti-Mursi protest |
- Germany's Merkel visits Pope, urges tougher market controls
- Afghan parliament fails to pass divisive women's law
- France's Hollande signs gay marriage law
- Hopes fade for those still trapped in Freeport Indonesia mine