Live News on Ukraine
Statement from Ed Royce, chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs:
Hugo Chavez was a tyrant who forced the people of Venezuela to live in fear. His death dents the alliance of anti-U.S. leftist leaders in South America. Good riddance to this dictator.
Venezuela once had a strong democratic tradition and was close to the United States. Chavez’s death sets the stage for fresh elections. While not guaranteed, closer U.S. relations with his key country in our Hemisphere are now possible.
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine - At least two people were killed in a gunfight early on Sunday near a Ukrainian city controlled by pro-Russian separatists, shaking an already fragile international accord that was designed to avert a wider conflict. | Video
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Abdullah leads in Afghan election but short of majority
- Syria's Assad pays Easter visit to recaptured Christian town
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days |
- South Africa's ANC set for two-thirds majority: poll
- Joyful homecoming for four French journalists after Syria captivity
- On Easter, Pope calls for end to war, condemns waste exacerbating hunger