World News: Live updates on Ukraine
Statement from Ed Royce, chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs:
Hugo Chavez was a tyrant who forced the people of Venezuela to live in fear. His death dents the alliance of anti-U.S. leftist leaders in South America. Good riddance to this dictator.
Venezuela once had a strong democratic tradition and was close to the United States. Chavez’s death sets the stage for fresh elections. While not guaranteed, closer U.S. relations with his key country in our Hemisphere are now possible.
KUALA LUMPUR/PHU QUOC ISLAND, Vietnam - Search and rescue planes scoured waters off the southern tip of Vietnam on Monday, searching for any trace of a Malaysia Airlines jetliner 48 hours after it vanished from radar screens with 239 people on board. | Video
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |
- Protests and talks widen rifts in Venezuela opposition
- Japan, U.S. differ on China in talks on 'grey zone' military threats
- Libyan rebels warn of 'war' if navy attacks oil tanker
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Nuns held by rebels in Syria are freed, arrive at border: witnesses
- New Zealand to go to economy-focused election on September 20