Statement from Ed Royce, chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs:
Hugo Chavez was a tyrant who forced the people of Venezuela to live in fear. His death dents the alliance of anti-U.S. leftist leaders in South America. Good riddance to this dictator.
Venezuela once had a strong democratic tradition and was close to the United States. Chavez’s death sets the stage for fresh elections. While not guaranteed, closer U.S. relations with his key country in our Hemisphere are now possible.
SEOUL - North Korea said on Friday the uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, previously considered the second most powerful man in the secretive state, has been executed for treason, the biggest upheaval since the death of Kim's father two years ago. | Video
- U.N. confirms chemical arms were used repeatedly in Syria
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Tunisia's Islamists and opposition reach deal on premier
- Central African Republic humanitarian crisis mounts even as attacks ease |
- Mexican Congress passes radical shake-up of oil industry
- Egyptian police fire teargas and water cannon on protesters
- U.N. Iran panel chair urges states to keep enforcing sanctions