Syrian foreign ministry spokesman defects: regional diplomatic source
Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has defected from President Bashar al-Assad's government and has left the country, a regional diplomatic source said on Monday.
"All I can say is that he is out of Syria," the source, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
Lebanon's al-Manar Television said earlier that Makdissi had been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official positions.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Pravin Char)
KUALA LUMPUR/HO CHI MINH CITY - A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew was presumed to have crashed off the Vietnamese coast on Saturday, and European officials said two people on board were using false identities. | Video
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |
- Israel brings arms ship to dock, hopes to shame Iran
- Libya threatens to bomb North Korean tanker if it ships oil from rebel port
- Syria government forces take village near Lebanese border
- Iraqi women protest against proposed Islamic law in Iraq
- Red Cross worker killed in Central African Republic
- Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body