Syrian foreign ministry spokesman defects: regional diplomatic source
Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has defected from President Bashar al-Assad's government and has left the country, a regional diplomatic source said on Monday.
"All I can say is that he is out of Syria," the source, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
Lebanon's al-Manar Television said earlier that Makdissi had been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official positions.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Pravin Char)
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine - At least three people were killed in a gunfight in the early hours of Sunday near a Ukrainian city controlled by pro-Russian separatists, shaking an already fragile international accord that was designed to avert a wider conflict. | Video
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Abdullah widens lead in Afghan presidential vote
- Turkey Twitter accounts appear blocked after Erdogan court action
- Syria's Assad pays Easter visit to recaptured Christian town
- Former army chief, leftist are only candidates in Egypt presidential poll
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days |
- Chinese admiral to snub Japan at regional meeting: Xinhua