Syrian foreign ministry spokesman defects: regional diplomatic source
Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has defected from President Bashar al-Assad's government and has left the country, a regional diplomatic source said on Monday.
"All I can say is that he is out of Syria," the source, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
Lebanon's al-Manar Television said earlier that Makdissi had been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official positions.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Pravin Char)
PRETORIA - Thousands of people queued on Wednesday to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body was lying in state in Pretoria in the building where the anti-apartheid hero was inaugurated in 1994 as South Africa's first black president. | Video
- Thai 'red shirts' prepare rally to back PM against protesters |
- Iran commander criticizes government over influence from West
- Ukrainian riot police withdraw after overnight move on demonstrators
- Iran says to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine
- Myanmar releases 41 political prisoners
- Italian PM Letta seeks parliament's backing for reforms
- India's Supreme Court turns the clock back with gay sex ban