Syrian foreign ministry spokesman defects: regional diplomatic sourceView the full event
Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has defected from President Bashar al-Assad's government and has left the country, a regional diplomatic source said on Monday.
"All I can say is that he is out of Syria," the source, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
Lebanon's al-Manar Television said earlier that Makdissi had been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official positions.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Pravin Char) by Matthew Keys 12/3/2012 4:37:12 PM
CARACAS - Venezuela's recent designation of an acting head of its diplomatic mission in the United States shows the OPEC nation's desire to restore full diplomatic relations, the foreign minister said in an interview broadcast on Sunday.
- Hezbollah steps up Syria battle, Israel threatens more strikes |
- North Korea fires short-range missiles for two days in a row |
- Exclusive: Bangladesh factory banned by Wal-Mart still makes Wrangler shirts
- Upmarket Pakistan district votes again as Imran Khan decries killing |
- Obama walks a fine line with Myanmar president's landmark visit
- British PM urges more action on tax from UK territories
- Israel demands French TV correct 13-year-old report on boy's death