The Economy & The Fiscal Cliff
Top House Republican predicts final passage of 'fiscal cliff' bill
A senior Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives said he expected the chamber to give final approval on Tuesday night to the Senate-passed "fiscal cliff" bill.
Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier made the prediction in a brief interview with Reuters after his panel cleared the way for the measure to be brought to the House floor. Dreier said he expected it to pass with bipartisan support, but declined to guess how many Republicans would back it, other than to say, "Quite a few."
KIEV/SLAVIANSK, Ukraine - An agreement reached last week to avert wider conflict in Ukraine was faltering as the new week began, with pro-Moscow separatist gunmen showing no sign of surrendering government buildings they have seized. | Video
- South Korea's Park says conduct of ferry crew tantamount to murder |
- Syria calls presidential vote, defying Assad's opponents
- Air strikes kill dozens in Syria's Aleppo: monitor group
- Iran says it is drafting complete account of past nuclear work
- Cyclone threatens to disrupt search for missing Malaysian plane |
- British PM accused of fueling division with Christian talk
- Meteor lights up night sky in northern Russia