The Economy & The Fiscal Cliff
Top House Republican predicts final passage of 'fiscal cliff' bill
A senior Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives said he expected the chamber to give final approval on Tuesday night to the Senate-passed "fiscal cliff" bill.
Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier made the prediction in a brief interview with Reuters after his panel cleared the way for the measure to be brought to the House floor. Dreier said he expected it to pass with bipartisan support, but declined to guess how many Republicans would back it, other than to say, "Quite a few."
TOKYO - President Barack Obama will use a state visit to Japan on Thursday to try to reassure Tokyo and other Asian allies of his commitment to ramping up U.S. engagement in the region, despite Chinese complaints that Washington's real aim is to contain Beijing's rise. | Video
- Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?
- Hamas, Abbas's PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- Exclusive: Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklist at U.N.
- Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Campaign to stop Britons joining Syria fight targets women
- Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees