Statement by President George W. Bush on the passing of Barney Bush
Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.
Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green.
Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps.
Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.
KIEV/DONETSK - A mediator from Europe's OSCE security body headed to eastern Ukraine on Saturday seeking the surrender of pro-Russian separatists as the Kiev government declared an Easter truce following a peace accord with Moscow. | Video
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Iran says it watered down, converted over 200 kg of enriched uranium
- In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter
- New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- U.N. peace envoy criticizes Israeli Easter security in Jerusalem
- High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field