U.S. Politics: Conservative Political Action Conference
Statement by President George W. Bush on the passing of Barney Bush
Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.
Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green.
Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps.
Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.
KUALA LUMPUR/HO CHI MINH CITY - A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew was presumed to have crashed off the Vietnamese coast on Saturday, and European officials said two people on board were using false identities. | Video
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |
- Israel brings arms ship to dock, hopes to shame Iran
- Libya threatens to bomb North Korean tanker if it ships oil from rebel port
- Syria government forces take village near Lebanese border
- Iraqi women protest against proposed Islamic law in Iraq
- Red Cross worker killed in Central African Republic
- Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body