U.S. Sen. Rockefeller to announce retirement-Senate source
WASHINGTON, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Democratic Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia will announce later on Friday that he will not seek a sixth term in the Senate in 2014, according to a Senate Democratic source.
Rockefeller, 75, is chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee. He is scheduled to make an announcement at 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT) in Charleston, West Virginia, about his future plans, according to his office.
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans united in mourning for Nelson Mandela on Friday, but while some celebrated his remarkable life with dance and song, others fretted that the anti-apartheid hero's death would make the nation vulnerable again to racial and social tensions. | Video
- Nelson Mandela, from apartheid fighter to president and unifier |
- Al Qaeda-linked group claims responsibility for Yemen ministry attack |
- Aide to N. Korean leader's ousted uncle seeks asylum in South: media
- Thai protest leaders refuse to give up, but streets calm
- Italian court sentences abducted Egyptian to 6 years -sources
- Syrian rebel group demands hostage swap for abducted nuns: paper
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai