U.S. Sen. Rockefeller to announce retirement-Senate source
WASHINGTON, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Democratic Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia will announce later on Friday that he will not seek a sixth term in the Senate in 2014, according to a Senate Democratic source.
Rockefeller, 75, is chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee. He is scheduled to make an announcement at 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT) in Charleston, West Virginia, about his future plans, according to his office.
TOKYO - U.S. President Barack Obama has said Washington welcomes China's rise but that engagement with Beijing would not come at the expense of its Asian allies - as Chinese state media greeted his imminent arrival in the region with a broadside accusing the United States of wanting to "cage" the emerging superpower.
- Ukraine president calls for new anti-rebel offensive as crisis deal falters |
- Divers feel with their hands for corpses in depths of South Korean ferry |
- Satellites show North Korea nuclear test unlikely: think tank
- Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- Australia vows to keep searching to solve missing Malaysian plane mystery
- Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in 'madly expensive' Luanda
- Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case