Statement from the President on His Holiness Pope Francis
On behalf of the American people, Michelle and I offer our warm wishes to His Holiness Pope Francis as he ascends to the Chair of Saint Peter and begins his papacy. As a champion of the poor and the most vulnerable among us, he carries forth the message of love and compassion that has inspired the world for more than two thousand years—that in each other we see the face of God. As the first pope from the Americas, his selection also speaks to the strength and vitality of a region that is increasingly shaping our world, and alongside millions of Hispanic Americans, those of us in the United States share the joy of this historic day. Just as I appreciated our work with Pope Benedict XVI, I look forward to working with His Holiness to advance peace, security and dignity for our fellow human beings, regardless of their faith. We join with people around the world in offering our prayers for the Holy Father as he begins the sacred work of leading the Catholic Church in our modern world.
RANONG, Thailand - One afternoon in October, in the watery no-man's land between Thailand and Myanmar, Muhammad Ismail vanished.
- German minister snubs Ukraine leaders on Kiev visit |
- Chemical experts eye port to load Syria toxins onto U.S. ship
- Thaksin's homecoming hopes dashed as Thai crisis reignites
- Biden calls for trust with China amid airspace dispute |
- Iran's ability to enrich uranium troubles U.S. lawmakers
- U.S. seeks to better understand Syria Islamists
- Delaying security deal a risk to Afghan forces: U.S. military chief