Japan will consider its own sanctions against North Korea which has appeared to have conducted a nuclear test, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Tuesday.
"I have ordered that we consider every possible way to address this issue, including our own sanctions, while cooperating with other countries," Abe told reporters after a meeting of Japan's security council.
North Korea likely conducted a nuclear test on Tuesday, said South Korea's defence ministry, after seismic activity measuring 4.9 magnitude was registered by the U.S. Geological Survey.
(Reporting by Stanley White)
KUALA LUMPUR/PHU QUOC ISLAND, Vietnam - T he disappearance of a Malaysian airliner about an hour into a flight to Beijing is an "unprecedented mystery", the civil aviation chief said on Monday, as a massive air and sea search now in its third day failed to find any trace of the plane or 239 people on board. | Video
- Confrontation in Ukraine as diplomacy stalls |
- Chilean is first foreign fatality in Venezuela unrest
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' rebel-held ports
- Syria among 'most dangerous places on Earth' for children: UNICEF |
- Swedish leader condemns violence linked to far right
- Ohio Libertarian candidates appeal to get names on May ballot
- Turkish cleric says Erdogan risking decade of reforms: FT