Geoffrey Cain, the GlobalPost's correspondent in Seoul, South Korea, discusses the deteriorating situation on the peninsula, as tensions continue to rise with North Korea.
Japan will consider its own sanctions against North Korea which has appeared to have conducted a nuclear test, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Tuesday.View the full event
"I have ordered that we consider every possible way to address this issue, including our own sanctions, while cooperating with other countries," Abe told reporters after a meeting of Japan's security council.
North Korea likely conducted a nuclear test on Tuesday, said South Korea's defence ministry, after seismic activity measuring 4.9 magnitude was registered by the U.S. Geological Survey.
(Reporting by Stanley White) by anthony.derosa 2/12/2013 4:46:12 AM
BEIRUT - Syria's opposition and the government of President Bashar al-Assad seem to be preparing to take part in an international peace conference against a background of some of the worst fighting this year. | Video
- Iran bars candidates for presidential election
- Attacks in Iraq kill over 40, sectarian tensions high |
- As U.S. struggles with Syria policy, Senate panel backs arming rebels
- With wary eye on the U.S., China courts India
- UK coalition to last despite rifts, infighting: Deputy PM
- China's bird flu outbreak cost $6.5 billion
- Russia's Putin out to silence independent voices: pollster