Geoffrey Cain, the GlobalPost's correspondent in Seoul, South Korea, discusses the deteriorating situation on the peninsula, as tensions continue to rise with North Korea.
Japan will consider its own sanctions against North Korea which has appeared to have conducted a nuclear test, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Tuesday.
"I have ordered that we consider every possible way to address this issue, including our own sanctions, while cooperating with other countries," Abe told reporters after a meeting of Japan's security council.
North Korea likely conducted a nuclear test on Tuesday, said South Korea's defence ministry, after seismic activity measuring 4.9 magnitude was registered by the U.S. Geological Survey.
(Reporting by Stanley White)
KIEV/DONETSK - A mediator from Europe's OSCE security body headed to eastern Ukraine on Saturday seeking the surrender of pro-Russian separatists as the Kiev government declared an Easter truce following a peace accord with Moscow. | Video
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Iran says it watered down, converted over 200 kg of enriched uranium
- In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter
- New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- U.N. peace envoy criticizes Israeli Easter security in Jerusalem
- High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field