Algeria and Mali
Six hostages, eight rebels killed in Algeria strike - source
ALGIERS - Six foreign hostages and eight of their captors were killed by an Algerian military strike on a vehicle being used by the kidnappers at a remote gas plant, a source in the town where the incident was unfolding told Reuters.
The source said some hostages were still being held, and 180 Algerian citizens had escaped.
TOKYO - U.S. President Barack Obama has said Washington welcomes China's rise but that engagement with Beijing would not come at the expense of its Asian allies - as Chinese state media greeted his imminent arrival in the region with a broadside accusing the United States of wanting to "cage" the emerging superpower. | Video
- Ukraine government resumes offensive, hopes for more U.S. help |
- Children's corpses in Korean ferry reveal desperate attempts to escape |
- Satellites show North Korea nuclear test unlikely: think tank
- Australia vows to keep searching to solve missing Malaysian plane mystery
- China activist missing after trying to help striking workers
- Netanyahu tells Abbas to choose peace partner: Hamas or Israel
- Saudi Arabia reports 11 new cases of MERS virus, first in Mecca