Algeria and Mali
BREAKING: 34 hostages killed in air strike by Algerian forces
NOUAKCHOTT- Thirty-four hostages and 14 of their al Qaeda-linked kidnappers were killed on Thursday in an air strike by the Algerian armed forces, Mauritania's ANI news agency reported, citing one of the kidnappers holding captives at a desert gas field.
It was not immediately possible to independently verify the information from the agency, which has close contact with the group which has claimed responsibility for the mass kidnapping.
ANI reported that the spokesman for the kidnappers said they would kill the rest of their captives if the army approached.
KUALA LUMPUR/PHU QUOC ISLAND, Vietnam - Officials investigating the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines jetliner with 239 people on board suspect it may have disintegrated in mid-flight, a senior source said on Sunday, as Vietnam reported a possible sighting of wreckage from the plane. | Video
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |
- Suicide bomber kills 45 in Iraqi city of Hilla
- Libya sends navy to stop North Korean tanker
- Colombians vote for congress ahead of FARC peace accord
- Arab League, Abbas reject recognizing Israel as 'Jewish state'
- Nuns held by rebels in Syria freed after three months
- Scotland complains over British handling of nuclear leak