Algeria and Mali
BREAKING: 34 hostages killed in air strike by Algerian forces
NOUAKCHOTT- Thirty-four hostages and 14 of their al Qaeda-linked kidnappers were killed on Thursday in an air strike by the Algerian armed forces, Mauritania's ANI news agency reported, citing one of the kidnappers holding captives at a desert gas field.
It was not immediately possible to independently verify the information from the agency, which has close contact with the group which has claimed responsibility for the mass kidnapping.
ANI reported that the spokesman for the kidnappers said they would kill the rest of their captives if the army approached.
MARIUPOL, Ukraine - Separatists attacked a base of the Ukrainian national guard overnight and Kiev said three separatists were killed, the worst bloodshed yet in a 10-day pro-Russian uprising in east Ukraine, overshadowing crisis talks to resolve the conflict. | Video
- Divers struggle in search for Korean ferry survivors |
- Search for Malaysia Airlines jet refocuses on drone scans of seafloor
- Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed: IAEA
- India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining strength
- Turkish ruling party wants Erdogan presidential bid: officials
- Nigeria local authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still missing
- Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday