Conflict along the Gaza Strip
Israel, Gaza militants agree to ceasefire - Hamas official
Israel and militants from the Gaza Strip have agreed to an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire that will come into force at midnight local (2200 GMT), Hamas official Ayman Taha said, speaking to Reuters from Cairo.
"An agreement for calm has been reached. It will be declared at 9.00 p.m. and go into effect at midnight," Taha said.
(Reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi; writing by Crispian Balmer; editing by Jeffrey Heller)
BANGKOK - Her eyes welling with tears, Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra pleaded on Tuesday for anti-government demonstrators to clear the streets and support a snap election, but defiant protest leaders called for her to step down within 24 hours.
- Leaders gather, thousands sing in rain in farewell to Mandela |
- Spanish journalist, photographer kidnapped in Syria
- French army battles militias in Central African Republic's capital
- China says U.S. has no right to comment on fate of activists
- Pakistan, Iran agree to speed up gas pipeline project
- Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting: researcher
- Ukraine protesters hold firm, defy riot police